1927 Comanche High School Track Team

We do love to add old photos to the site, and we’d be glad to post yours! Today we bring you the 1927 Comanche High School track team. More information on these young men, their races, and how they did can be found at the Comanche County Historical Museum.

It is entirely possible that I have someone identified incorrectly. Feel free to let me know if that happens to be the case.

Front Row: Coach George Burns, Weldon Preston, Othello Martin, Bryce (Boyce?) Magness, Troy Lewis, S.A. Bartley

Middle Row:  Bertis Magness, Winston Scurry, Albert Greer, Frank Mackey, _____ Russell, Jim Eanes Ruse, Wendell Herring

Back Row:  Ebbie Pulliam, Fain Walldrop, Joe B. Lee, Tommie Pulliam, Robert Allen, Marshall Meyers, Aubrey Magness, S.L. Morris, John D. Woodward

This entry was posted in 1920s, Latest Posts, Texas Heritage, Texas History and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to 1927 Comanche High School Track Team

1. anna halfaday says:

Hello my dad is pictured in the 1927 track n football pics from comanche texas. His name is Weldon Preston his parents owned a restsurant there. Their names were vascar and josiebelle preston. Would there be any pics of that? Also a Dodsons dress shop? Cant believe I saw these pics!! Thank you so much

Anna, I don’t believe I have pix of those, but I would love to see some. If you have family info, we would love to do a notebook for our family history section of the Comanche Museum. You can always email me at fredda@texansunited.com to reach me easier. Are you related to Euell Preston?

Also, I can give you contact info for someone who probably remembers your dad if you will email me. Do you happen to know the name of their restaurant?

• anna halfaday says:

Hi thanks for helping it just means the world to me. I think Euell was a cousin. I think it was the cafe was just called Vas’s. It was on the square my grandpa was william vascar and he married josie belle newcomb. They had 2 children Vassie Lorene and Weldon Seigle.

2. missy jones says:

Fredda, might the correct name for “middle row” Jim Eanes RUSE be Reese?.
    also, a listing for “Tommie Pulliam”. I have information on Tom Pulliam and Walter Mercer, a brother to my brother-in-law, Alton Mercer, that Tom Pulliam and Walter Mercer waited tables at a boarding house here in Comanche to help pay their way. This is from Walter Mercer, who was going to school at Gustine, and came with his father, Wade A. Mercer to talk to the school board about him transferring to Comanche from Gustine. He was informed by the school superintendent that they did not want country kids in the school. but if he was determined to, he guess they would let him. More on this later. Missy Jones

Missy, I copied from what was given me, and I could have miscopied or the name Ruse might have been a slip of someones memory. Reese is probably exactly right!

I would LOVE a writeup about the “country” kids because that is unbelievable. If you will look at the date on the Comanche Maiden’s first state basketball championship, you will notice that it just happens to be the year that the “country” kids came to town, bringing at least 2 of the members of that team with them…Jane Bradley and Florence Jo Coan!!

3. missy jones says:

Fredda, I believe that the student on the right, second row is Fain Waldrop.

4. Nancy Trotter says:

Fredda,
    unless I read it wrong my Uncle Albert Greer is the 1st person on the 2nd row on the left facing me
    let me know if you have other information He was also on the football team
    Nancy Trotter ( Willingham )