1957 Employees Of Turkey Processing Plant In Comanche, Texas

In 1957, the town of Comanche could boast of a turkey processing plant which was located on South Houston Street. If y0u can remember the plant, we’d love to hear from you. Of course, if you can identify any of these workers, please let us know in the comment boxes below.

I hope you can find someone in your own family!

1957 TURKEY DRESSING PLANT PEOPLE

So When You Know…..Will You Tell The Rest Of Us, PLEASE?

This entry was posted in 1950s, Latest Posts, Texas Heritage, Texas History and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to 1957 Employees Of Turkey Processing Plant In Comanche, Texas

1. Fredda Jones Fredda Jones says:

When all else fails, ask your husband! Rickey Jones knew all about this because according to him it was located in the old Durham Pecan building, which had been an ice house, a cheese plant, and a turkey plant…not necessarily in that order.

I have a hard time believing this, but Ric was told that the hangers actually held live turkeys, and they were killed like that. Of course, he has no idea that this is correct!

• Janella Hendon says:

My Dad had a creamery (etc) in Eastland for awhile. He said it was really cruel but people would not buy a chicken with out the head, as they were afraid of getting an old chicken. The birds were hung up and their throats slit. He also said he made a round every day to customers to see what they wanted that day (1935?) before killing and dressing the chicken. I am not aware of the plant in Comanche but would think it might be the same reasoning. Janella

2. Melanee Schwartz says:

My DAd said his uncle is in the back row and is the
    First white hat from the left. He is Vernon McAlliley

3. Jim Culpepper says:

I think the man with a cap on next to Mr. McAlliley is my dad Floyd Culpepper. I can’t be 100% sure but the lady in the back right looks like my mother. The lady standing right in front of my mother is Irene Hoff. The man directly behind the second lady on the first row looks like Jack Jackson. I was only 10 in 57 but Rickey is correct about hangers. They would kill them dress them and pack them in ice vats (the reason for the ice house) then one of the truck drivers (my dad being one) would haul them to Armor and Company in Ft. Worth. They also excepted grade B milk that was taken to Stephenville to make cheese.

4. MATTIE HOOVER SWANK says:

i know several of the women,my mother, RUBY FLETCHER HOOVER CUNNINGHAM is hy the guy in white cap,glasses,& eyes closed. i know IRENE HUGHES bottom left.there is STELLA WHITWORTH bottom row about in middle. a VERA MORGAN,DOROTHY BRADON,BESSIE STEELE,ODESSA LAKE,ALLEY STEELE, i know faces but cant remember names.

5. Lynn Brown says:

I remember my fourth grade class, taught by Mrs. Golden J. Reese, going on a field trip to the turkey plant in the spring of 1958. It was near the end of the school year and we set out on foot from the J. B. Layne campus on Pearl St. numerous times. We also toured the depot, the jail, the courthouse, the Comanche National Bank and Choice Baking Co. When we toured the turkey plant it was not processing turkeys but the manager gave us a detailed description of the workings. Everything was stainless steel and very clean. He turned on the conveyor apparatus: live turkeys were attached to it by their legs at the intake dock. As it moved along they were killed and dressed. I particularly remember the motorized feather-plucking device–kind of like the spinning brushes at a fancy car wash.

6. Missy Jones says:

Fredda, someone identified Irene Hoff. I was working at Service Drug, the west side of the square about this time. Morning and evening, Irene Hoff and Rebecca Culpepper came by the Drug Store to drink coffee. They both worked at the turkey plant. They were so sweet to all of us working girls, and I have told their families that. I think that people leave a lot behind them in life, and both of these ladies are remembered with much love. These are some of my good memories. Missy Cox Jones.