A few weeks ago, we posted a cinnamon bread. This week we bring you a delicious apple cinnamon breakfast bread, which has the texture of a baked French toast. It’s extremely easy to make and makes a great addition to a morning breakfast or brunch. I’ve even used it as a dessert, served warm with ice cream!
The biggest problem with this bread is deciding how to serve it. If you want it to slice like bread, it will work better if you let it cool, slice, and then nuke; however, I’ve sliced it right out of the oven many times. It’s just a little more difficult.
You can actually serve it as a bread pudding by dipping onto serving plates and topping with your favorite bread pudding sauce. Or….you can top with syrup. Any way you serve it, this one is a great breakfast treat!
Ingredients For Bread
1 Large Loaf French Bread
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Large Apple, diced into tiny pieces*
Topping For Bread
½ Cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Butter, melted
Preparation For Bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Beat eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla.
2. Stir in apples.
3. Pull French bread into about inch size pieces and drop into egg mixture.
4. Mash bread into mixture until all is soaked up.
5. Divide bread mixture into 2 well buttered bread pans. (I did not do it this time, but I really like to put 1/2 of my bread mixture in my bread pans, put a spoon or so of sugar and cinnamon over it, and then add the rest of the bread mixture to the pan and cover with topping.)
Preparation For Topping
1. Combine sugar, cinnamon and butter.
2. Spon over the top of both loaves
3. Cover and refrigerate overnight.*
4. Begin checking after 30 minutes. I cook for about 45 minutes.
*I have made this without letting it stand for hours, but it will be better if you have the time to wait. Also, you may want more apple in your bread. Using 2 apples works well also.