I’m not much of an apple person but I have to admit that I do REALLY like these. They are sort of an apple pie without having to go to the trouble of actually making a pie, and I personally like them better than pie.
If you have a bought sugar cookie dough that you like, it will work well with this recipe. If not, your homemade cookie dough will also be great for these apple pie bars.
16.5 Ounces (plus a little) Sugar Cookie Dough, bought or your favorite recipe*
20 Ounce Can Apple Pie Filling, I add about 1/2 cup sugar to this, but we like SWEET!
1/4 Cup Sugar
3-4 Teaspoons Cinnamon
*I did not have time to make my usual sugar cookie dough so I used a bought dough. I also don’t normally use an off brand, but that was all the store had, and it worked great.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Pat about 2/3 of your dough into the bottom of a greased and floured 9 by 13 pan.
2. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle half of it over the cookie dough.
3. Pulse* the apple pie filling for just a couple of seconds in the food processor or blender.
4. Cover the dough with the apple pie filling.
5. Pull the left over cookie dough apart and pat into fairly flat pieces.
6. Place your flat pieces of dough over the pie filling. It will not completely cover it.
7. Sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar mix over the whole thing.
8. Bake. Begin checking after 30 minutes. I baked for 40.
9. Let cool on a wire rack and cut into bars.
*I only pulse because I do not like big pieces of fruit in my recipes. If this does not bother you, then I wouldn’t bother with pulsing.
If you like apple pie, I think you will love these bars!