I don’t usually post new recipes here on Texansunited.com, but I’ve been wanting to try these for a long time and when I finally did, I decided to share with all of you. The bottom line is that these have the potential to be very, very good, but I haven’t quite mastered them so for today, I’m only giving these low carb cheese bites a very good rating.
Just so you know, “normal” people roll these in bread crumbs before baking. I can’t do that because I don’t want the carbs. Sooooo…I rolled in tiny pecan bits, and I think you will like that. As soon as I have time, I’m going to roll in pecan meal and see how that works. Anyway, I think these will work great for when you need something a little different to serve, but you want something that you carb watchers can eat along with everyone else.
String Cheese, cut into small pieces
Half and Half
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Cut cheese into bites. I cut 5 pieces per piece of cheese.
2. Drop pieces into half and half.
3. Put cheese in bowl and pour pecans over them. Shake until coated, and you will probably have to press some pecans into the cheese.
4. At this point you can leave your cheese bites plain as I did in the photo below, or you can sprinkle with seasonings. In the second photo, you can see that I covered with garlic salt and cayenne pepper. It looks like a lot, but I will actually add a little more when I cook again.
5. Now, here’s where you have to be careful. I ruined my first batch because my recipe said to cook in a 425 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. I thought that sounded off so I put in a 375 degree oven for 8 minutes. I should have known better!!
My second batch turned out much better. I baked for 3 minutes in a 350 degree oven. I’m assuming that when I try coating with pecan meal that I might have to cook just a bit longer.
These are usually served with some type of a dipping sauce like marinara. I probably won’t dip simply because of the carbs.
I must admit that I finally just gave in and ate the whole batch!