I’ve been on a quest to make the holidays a little easier here at the Jones’ casa so this will be another one for the freezer. Although you may not want to serve pound cake on the day of your special holiday, this one is great to have to serve those unexpected callers who always seem to ring the doorbell unexpectedly during the holiday season.
I started making this cake in the 1970s, and it has stayed with us for several decades!
1 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Butter
3 Cups Sugar
3-4 Teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 Cup Milk
4 Cups Flour
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1. Cream shortening and butter together.
2. Add eggs and sugar and beat well.
3. Add vanilla.
4. Add flour slowly, alternating with milk.
5. Pour batter into a well-greased and floured tube pan.
6. Bake for an hour and 10 minutes then begin checking to see if toothpick comes out clean. I think I ended up baking for about 90 minutes.
7. I usually slice and serve immediately when it comes out of the oven. However, I have also made a glaze from water, sugar, and vanilla, brought it to a boil, and spooned over the cake. Because it is crusty, the glaze soaks through and that makes a good way to serve this one.