Well I will have to admit that this was my first time ever to make banana pudding. Don’t get me wrong I love the stuff but at all of our family gatherings my cousin Stacey Johnston is required to bring her recipe and if she doesn’t we just don’t let her in. haha
This was a simple recipe to follow and the end results were amazing. Thank you so much Butch from Fraser Insurance Agency for providing us with this delicious recipe.
Butch’s Banana Pudding
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks (discard of the egg whites)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Mix small amounts of flour with some of you milk until you have it all dissolved into a paste
- Put flour and milk mixture, sugar, and remaining milk into a pot on top of the stove. Set over a medium heat and mix until all is combined.
- Stirring constantly until the mixture becomes a custard like consistency and remove from heat to cool.
- In a separate bowl beat the 4 egg yolks together. Add a small amount of the custard to the eggs to temper them. (This means to make the eggs the same temperature as the custard so that when you incorporate them into the custard you will not end up with scrabbled eggs.) Pour eggs into custard, add the butter and salt. Stir until smooth and completely blended. Should have a yellowish color.
- In a 10″ x 10″ x 2″ dish put one layer vanilla wafers and then a layer of bananas topping it with the custard.
- Repeat the above step 3 times.
- Once all layers are finished place in ice box to cool or better yet dip you up a good plate full and enjoy.