Oh, my! This is one of those decadent, sinful pies that you don’t want to make too often unless you have a lot of will power! I first began making a version of this pie years ago and then recently happened upon “my pie” on someone else’s website so I lifted that photo!
You will find a link to that site below.
Besides the fact that it is delicious, I like that I can make it a couple of days early (when I have some time), freeze, and then have it ready when I need it.
I did not do it today, but I sometimes drain pineapple bits very, very well and add about a cup to the following, which is enough to make two 9″ pies. Obviously, this is a help if I am preparing for several people.
2 Graham Cracker Crusts, 9″ (I like to make my own.)
6 Tablespoons Butter
7 Ounces Shredded Coconut
1 Cup Chopped Pecans, or to taste
14 Ounces Eagle Brand
8 Ounces Cream Cheese, softened
16 Ounces Cool Whip
12 Ounces Caramel Ice Cream Topping, or to taste. (I sometimes use less.)
I’m going to list the crust as a graham cracker (and I HATE bought ones), but I do have 2-3 other crust recipes that I like with this one.
1. Melt butter in saucepan.
2. Add coconut and pecans, stirring to coat. Saute until coconut and pecans are lightly toasted.
3. Set aside.
4. Beat Eagle Brand and cream cheese until fluffy.
5. Fold in Cool Whip.
6. Spoon 1/4 of cream cheese mixture into each crust.
7. Drizzle each with 1/4 of caramel topping.
8. Add rest of cream cheese mixture and drizzle with caramel once again if you like that much caramel.
9. Top with coconut and pecan mixture.
10. Freeze for several hours or overnight.