This cake starts with a mix, but if you will do it exactly like I do, no one will ever know! The first time I made this recipe, I tasted it a couple of hours after I had it all assembled, and I was REALLY disappointed. The cake itself tasted like a mix, and I hate that taste.
I covered the cake and left it for seven or eight hours before I tasted it again, and to my surprise, it was REALLY good. The extra time allowed the toppings to really soak into the cake. When I made it this time, I actually assembled it, covered it, and left it until the next day before I served it. In my opinion, that made it even better!
1 Devil’s Food Cake Mix (ingredients listed on box)
2 Cups Sugar, divided
24 Large Marshmallows
1 1/2 Cups Milk, divided
7 Ounces Coconut*
1 Stick Butter
1 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips, I use milk chocolate.
1. Mix and bake cake according to package directions. Bake in 9 x 13 inch pan, and it will work better if you use the metal with the tall sides.
2. Combine 1 cup of sugar, marshmallows, and 1 cup of milk in pan and cook over low heat until marshmallows are melted.
3. Stir in coconut and spread on top of warm cake
4. Mix butter, 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup milk in pan and bring to a boil.
5. Stir in chocolate chips and spread over coconut mixture.
Cover and don’t serve until the cake has had time to absorb the toppings.
*Obviously, you can omit the coconut, or if your house is divided on liking coconut, simply spread 3-4 ounces of coconut on 1/2 of the cake (instead of putting it in the hot topping). Pour topping over entire cake, leaving 1/2 of the cake with coconut and 1/2 without.