Okay, so it’s not actually the high school’s pumpkin pie, but it is the pumpkin pie of Tonna Stephenson, Jaden Roberts, John Moerman, and Taylor Payne who cooked the pie for Mrs. Lindsay Furlong’s nutrition class.
Of course as soon as we learned that these young people had been in the kitchen, we were quick to ask if we could publish the end result that you will find below.
2 Cups Cooked Pumpkin, mashed or pulsed
12 Ounces Evaporated Milk
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon, Ginger, & Nutmeg
Ingredients For Crust
2 2/3 Cups Flour
1 Cup Shortening
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Cold Water
Preparation of Pumpkin
1. Scoop seeds and strings from pumpkin.
2. Cut flesh into cubes.
3. Fill pan with one inch of water and bring to boil.
4. Add pumpkin to boiling water and reduce heat to low.
5. Cover and simmer till tender. Drain.
6. When pumpkin is cool, remove the outside skin or peel.
7. Mash pumpkin or pulse briefly in food processor. Drain excess juice.
Preparation of Crust
1. Stir salt into flour.
2. Cut shortening into flour.
3. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing well. Continue to add until dough holds together.
4. Shape dough into a ball then roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.
5. Lay pie pan upside down on dough and cut dough 1 1/2 inches bigger than pan.
6. Roll dough around your rolling pin and then unroll into pie pan.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Beat all ingredients into pumpkin until creamy. Pour into crust.
2. Begin checking after 40 minutes. Pie is done when knife inserted one inch from crust comes out clean.
GOOD JOB, KIDS!