It’s a well-known fact…I don’t keep a lot of junk around our house. It’s too tempting, and we don’t need it. However, I do like to have something to go along with a cup of coffee that I can offer a surprise guest, and these coated almonds (I’m actually using pecans today.) are perfect. Plus, a few in a bag with a sweet note, the recipe, and a bow make a GREAT gift with a very personal touch!
I’m giving you the recipe as it was given to me. I must admit that I probably do not stir as often as is called for, and I haven’t noticed that it ruins my nuts. In fact, the only reason that I can see to make these in the crockpot instead of the oven if that I don’t have to stay right with them and stir every few minutes.
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tablespoons Cinnamon
Dash of Salt
1 Egg White
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
3-5 Cups Almonds (or any nuts)
1/8 Cup Water
1. Mix together sugars, cinnamon, and salt.
2. In another bowl beat together egg white and vanilla until just before soft peaks form. Stir almonds thoroughly into mixture.
3. Stir almonds into the sugar mixture until all are coated well.
4. Butter (or spray well) your crockpot.
5. Add nuts to crockpot and set on low.
6. Stir every 20-30 minutes for the next 2 hours. (I don’t always stir this often.)
7. After two hours, add the water to the nuts and stir very well. This is to make your nuts crunchier.
8. Cook for 1 more hour, stirring half way through the hour.
9. Spread almonds so they can dry.
I let dry completely and then seal in plastic bowl. According to when I think I will serve them, I may or may not refrigerate.