Obviously, you have to take what I am going to say with the proverbial grain of salt because I have no personal knowledge that certain foods can help prevent or kill cancer cells in our bodies. However, these five have been popping up for years as having what I will call anti-cancer properties so my thought is that it can’t hurt to eat plenty of them, right?
Lots of research even suggests that many of us have cancer several times over the course of our lifetimes but that many of our bodies fight it and kill it without our ever knowing anything about it.
Is this true? I have no idea. Do I make sure I eat these five? I do, but please do your own research* on that as well as on the following five foods.
1. Hot Peppers - Eastern medicine has for centuries touted the benefits of peppers, the hotter the better to cure diseases that “waste” the body. Of course, cancer would fall into this group. How well the peppers work seems to be according to the amount of capsaicin in the pepper.
Google peppers as a cure for cancer, and you will spend weeks wading through information that sounds rational as well as posts by quacks.
2. Garlic - I don’t think there is any doubt that garlic is good for us. It helps fight disease, many calling it a natural antibiotic. However, research also indicates that garlic also helps in the fight against cancer…if it is sliced or crushed and allowed to stand for ten minutes before cooking with it.
3. Green Tea – Research done at New Castle University seems to indicate that the ancient Chinese were correct in their belief that green tea holds curative power. (Clickon the link and put green tea into the search bar.)
According to Dr Ed Okello, New CastleUniversity, “What was really exciting was that we found when green tea is digested, the resulting chemicals are actually more effective against key triggers of Alzheimer’s.
“The digested compounds also had anti-cancer properties, significantly slowing down the growth of tumor cells which we were using in our experiments.”
4. Broccoli - No matter where you look you will find that all research does point to broccoli as having cancer-fighting agents, and you should try to eat it as much as possible. Of course, you have to be careful about cooking it.
For years, we were told that broccoli must be eaten raw. However, newer research suggests that steaming briefly actually works well. I have found that the best way to cook it without losing the benefits is to use a microwave steamer, cooking for about four minutes.
What I have not seen before is the research that indicates that eating broccoli with radishes and…yes…mustard can increase its benefits even more, at least according to an interview with Elizabeth Jeffery, a professor of nutrition at the University of Illinois. And yes, as I type I am trying a little raw broccoli dipped in mustard.
5. Pomegranate – Fairly new research seems to indicate that the juice found in pomegranates contains components that tend to paralyze cancer cells, keeping them from spreading. Pomegranate juice is thought especially powerful in fighting prostate cancer.
Eventually, I want to look at certain spices that apparently have untold benefits…and a lot of them are spices that most of us never use.
Although I had already started the article (because the subject of fighting cancer naturally interests me), it became even more important to me when Civil War author Richard Small emailed to tell me that he has begun a battle against brain cancer and that he had chosen to fight it naturally.
Richard has agreed that I may share his daily regimen with you in the near future.
*I have provided very, very basic links since this is simply an article designed to peak your interest. You owe it to yourself to do your own research.
Photo from Craig Sewell: http://craigsewellblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/grow-organic-peppers-in-your-garden.html