We’ve told you that we look for those genealogical tidbits that most people never find. Below is a perfect example; however, if it had happened to me, I can assure you that I would not be calling it a tidbit!
If you are ever tempted to wonder if life was really “all that hard” for residents of Texas in the 19th Century, just try to imagine making sure that critters weren’t in your drinking water before you took a swallow.
I found the following in the August 26, 1882, issue of the Comanche Chief. The Chief picked it up from the Dublin Enterprise.
Swallowed A Lizard
“The Dublin Enterprise of the 23rd instant contains the following:
“Wm. M. TAYLOR, of Comanche county, who has his family at Duffan wells, informed our reporter, a day or two since, that a little daughter was taken suddenly sick and had convulsions for three days, but was relieved by the passage of a large stinging lizard. How she managed to swallow the lizard is not known, but supposed to have swallowed it in drinking water.”