The Dublin National Bank is located near the busy crossroads of U.S. 377/67 and State Highway 6 in Dublin, Texas. The frontier town of Dublin was founded in 1854 by A.H. Dobkins, but it was not named until about 1860. The source of its name is subject to an on-going debate. The most commonly accepted version is that the name Dublin came from the capital of Ireland although some believe it was originally Doublin, reflecting the setlers habit of doubling in the wagons for protection during Indian raids.
Dublin was one of the first communities in the state to have streetcars, a short-lived mule-pulled version. The introduction of stagecoach service between Fort Worth and Yuma in 1874 spurred a growth of the community that continued with the arrival of the Texas Central Railroad to nearby Mount Airy in 1881. In 1889, the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad was built through Dublin and by the following year, the population of the town ws 2,025.
In 1892, John G. Harris, R.W. Higginbotham, Dr. T.Y. Lewis, and H.A. Smith organized the It was the first bank established in Erath County and the fifteenth in the state of Texas. The bank was chartered on February 10, 1893, with ten stockholders, and on March 25, 1893, the U.S. Treasury Department authorized the bank to commence business.
Today, the bank continues to sit right where it was located in the 19th century. By 1901, it had increased its capital stock to $55,000, and it has never looked back. The banks fifth president was Edward Harris, son of John G. Harris. The young Mr. Harris was a Dublin High School graduate, and he quite literally grew up in the bank.
Edward Harris was known by the nickname Uncle Ed Harris because of his compassion and generosity as a banker. He was also regarded as a skilled banker and was credited with keeping Dublin National in strong financial condition, even as the nation was in the throes of the Great Depression.
In 1930, while many other community banks were failing, the assets of the Dublin National Bank were more than $580,000, a tribute to the bank and its management.