We love squash at our house, and yesterday I made squash with pearl onions even though Rickey asked for fried squash. I just haven’t had the energy lately to stand and flip squash for an hour.
Since we had leftovers yesterday, I decided to make the next best thing…fried squash fritters.
Squash, boiled and drained very well
Yellow Corn Meal
Oil, I used olive oil even though there is a lot of chatter about the temp of this oil.
1. I used leftover squash, but you can also boil your squash and drain completely. The mixture works better if you can put it in the fridge until it is completely cold.
2. Take cold squash and pulse in food processor or blender for less than 10 seconds.
3. Move to bowl. I had about 3 cups of squash and to that I added about 2/3 cup of yellow corn meal and about 1/4 cup sugar, mixing well.
4. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Drop mixture by clumps (about the size of 2 quarters) into hot oil. Do not touch until you can tell that one side is brown. Then, flip without mashing.
5. Remove to papertowel to drain excess oil.