I love this cake! The key is not to overcook and not to let the top get too hard on you. You will notice that I used pecans, not walnuts. When you are in the pecan business, you use PECANS!!
2 Cups Sugar
1 1⁄2 Cups Vegetable Oil
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
3 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1⁄2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Medium Granny Smith Apples, chopped
1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
1⁄2 cup butter
2 Teaspoons Milk
1⁄2 Cup Brown Sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Grease a 9 inch Bundt pan. I usually use one of the “fancy” ones, but anything will work.
2. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs until light and fluffy.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir into the batter just until blended.
4. Fold in the apples and walnuts using a spoon. Pour into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the crown or the cake comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes then invert on to a wire rack.
7. Make the glaze by heating the butter, milk and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
8. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then remove from the heat.
9. Drizzle over the warm cake. (Actually, I prefer to slice and serve glaze over each slice.)