This cake isn’t the norm for us here on TU because it is not a family recipe. It’s one I actually found on a recipe blog, tried, and liked. It begins with a mix, but don’t let that fool you. It is delicious!
1 Yellow Cake Mix
8 Ounces Sour Cream
4 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup Oil
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
4 Tablespoons Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Butter and flour a 9×13 baking pan. Preheat oven to 350. (If your oven tends to cook hot, bake at 325.)
1. By hand or on the lowest speed of your mixer, combine cake mix, sour cream, eggs, and oil, just until mixed lightly.
2. In another bowl, combine well the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
3. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the pan, and top with the brown sugar mixture. Be sure to cover the entire top of the cake.
4. Spread the rest of the batter on top of the brown sugar and cinnamon.
5. With a table knife, swirl through the batter, causing the cinnamon to create swirls throughout the cake.
6. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, but do not overcook. Begin checking after 30 minutes.
7. During the last 10 minutes of baking time, sift the powdered sugar. Slowly stir in the milk and vanilla, stirring well to eliminate lumps.
8. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the powdered sugar mixture over the top and wait until it “cracks” to serve.