I Remember The Indian Band From Peanut Land

Years ago when I was in high school, girls did not have the choice to participate in both band and athletics and since my feet could move faster than my fingers could play an instrument, I didn’t really have a lot of choice in the matter. However, how I remember Mike Brady’s band, the Indian Band From Peanut Land!

Those were the days when the stadium lights were real lights, you know, the kind you could turn on and off and when that old stadium darkened, we knew we were in for a treat with twirlers twirling fire or the band marching with lights on their shoes, and oh my, how that band could play. Forget tapping your toes, those kids could make you want to stand up and dance!!

From Kawliga to When The Saints Go Marching In to the Comanche Indian Fight Song, those band members played their hearts out, and I can still remember how proud I was of them at away games when others were able to hear them as well.

I can also remember band director Mike Brady. In fact, I can completely picture him sitting on a lower bleacher, one cowboy boot behind the other and spitting tobacco (Yes, you could do that back then.) as he watched the game during a break.

Unfortunately, since I didn’t travel with the band, I have no fun band stories to tell so here’s hoping some of you will jump into the comment boxes below and leave us with some of your own band memories…whether you played with this group or not!

(If you read my blog about the old track and field, this photo will show you that it really was a real field once upon a time. Also, please notice how small the band is in this photo and then realize these kids played as if there were three times that number out there performing with them!

________________________________________________________________

This entry was posted in I Remember, Latest Posts, Texas Heritage. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to I Remember The Indian Band From Peanut Land

1. Kelly Taylor says:

Perfect description of Mr. Brady – spitting tobacco. We loved that man. He pushed us and made us a good band. He also would rub elbows with the contest judges in order to make sure we got 1’s in contests! Good memories.

2. missy jones says:

I do remember the Indian Band from Peanut Land. My son Mark played in the band for Mr. Brady, and I can just hear the band letting the hammer down on “Kaw Liga”. Everyone on our side of the stadium stomping their feet in time to the music and cheering. Can’t we have that, again”

3. Mike Brady says:

Fredda-What a great surprize-I recieved this through Doug Burks. It is nice to know I am still remembered-Nasty habits and all-(chewing tobacco). I loved the time I spent in Copmanche. The kids were great and made the band as good as it was. I spent 10 years in Graham, and 17 years in Coleman. I still teach (band) part time at Jim Ned high School (near Abilene) I live in Far eastern Coleman county in the little community of Burkett. I would love to hear from some more Injun Band from Peanut Land members. Mike Brady-mlbrady@web-access.net. 1001 cr. 178, Burkett,tex 76828- Home-325624-5233- I remember you being a pretty fair country basketball player as well as being a real looker. YOu look as pretty s ever. thanks for doing this

And you are still as full of bull as ever! LOL

It is so good to know where you are, and I will repost this article with a note about your email address. We would love to have you come to the all class reunion next year.

• Gigi Dudley says:

My band experiences in high school are the best ones for me, and I cherish them! If not for Mr. Brady, I’m sure I couldn’t say the same : )
      It was great to be Number One!!! What a feeling! Thanks to Mike Brady for that. He really put us on the map : )

• Mike Brady says:

Gigi- I remembr you well- you played flute-had a little sister, and remeber your folks well- you lived around the corner- i am sure you are an ol married woman now, with lots of kids. Hope your life has been good- you and your folks were always good to me. mike

4. Barry Coleman says:

Mike, I want to thank you for the time you brought the band to the old Indian stadium locker room and have the band line up and bring the football team back on the field at half time. That is a memory that I will always remember. Thanks to you and all your band and my school mates that made that possible.

5. Gordon Bearden says:

Mike, I want to second what Barry said, the memories I have of the Band are simply great and I think that rubbed off on the whole school and I know certainly to the football team; the Band set a standard that I think the football players had to live up to because the Band would certainly outshine the football team if we didn’t play well.
    I have officiated football for 28 years and call some football games for Comanche and I still get goose bumps when I hear the fight song and I attribute that to the high standard that was set by you.

6. Mike Brady says:

Wow- I am getting goose bumps all over again- Wait- I think those are liver spots- Some great times and great memories- I would love to come to the reunion- Just let me know- Im not but about an hour away. By the way, the picture was at the old football stadium and was probably the first or second year was there. The band grew in number after that. All you kids, don.t forget, I Saw the Light. I saw Monique Burroughs at the lake in April- She didn.t look quite like she did in high school, of course I haven’t changed a bit, other than hair, very little, weight, more of it, my get up and go done got up and went- My teeth are like stars, they come out at night, and my joints are like rice krispies, snap, crackle, and pop. I can satill teach kids to play their horns.

I think the picture was taken during your first year here, Mike, and I do remember how the band grew after that year. They just got better and better! The reunion is always in May, held at the winery here in Comanche.

7. Jodi Pyburn says:

I can still remember the feeling when we marched on the field and Mr. Brady announced us as the Indian Band from peanut land. It seemed the crowd cheered so loud for us and I still remember the feeling of pride that gave me. Such great school spirit back then!!

Jodi, I may be very wrong, but I think school spirit is still a possibility. Mr. Brady understood perfectly how that delivery roused a crowd. He also understood how to get the best out of all of you. It takes a lot of work, but it is possible. You guys were great!

8. Arnold Ziffel says:

I’ve always believe that Mike Brady made the kids want to be the best for themselves. I always liked his “no grades” approach where everyone gets 100 if you participate. The stage band was incredible, too. Having fallen in love with the City of Chicago after leaving Comanche, I can’t fly into O’hare without thinking about those trombones blasting out popular songs from the era from the band Chicago. I hold Brady as one of the most influential teachers in my life. The sweepstakes trophies he brought home speak for themselves, and if I understand correctly, Comanche has never earned another one. That’s just sad. I felt very abandoned when he resigned, and I didn’t last much longer. He’d grown the band so large he couldn’t handle it all, and the school board was insensitive to needing an associate director – thus he left.