M.G. Catter Dry Goods 1907 Photo

Now that we have begun to hear from family members, this photo has been moved into our Genealogy section. Be sure to see comments below!

Don’t you just love to find old photos that give you at least a glimpse into days gone by? Quite a few years ago I was lucky enough to come into possession of scrapbooks and photo books of the Dora Nabers Greene family. The photo below came from those things. The note was written in 1907 and apparently there had been a fire on the east side of the square with five buildings burned. How often that happened in Comanche!

This entry was posted in Genealogy, Texas Heritage and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to M.G. Catter Dry Goods 1907 Photo

1. Molly Catter Bewley says:

WOW! M.G. Catter was my great grandfather – I was just googling for fun and found your picture! His name was Monsar Gabriel and he immigrated from Lebanon. After the dry goods store in Comanche, he moved to Wichita Falls and started a monuments company – he was know there as M.G. “Marble and Granite” Catter. What fun to see this, he passed away when I was 5 years old. If you’re interested in selling the picture, I would certainly be interested!

Molly, I am so glad to hear from you! If you have more info on your great grand, we would love to put it in our family history section here in our local museum.

You should be able to get as good a quality by taking the photo from the site as I have here. If not, let me know and I will see if I can find it and scan and email it to you. So glad you found it!!

• Pamela Catter Taylor Campbell says:

Molly, this is incredible. M.G. Catter was my grandfather’s brother. He was born in Beirut, Lebanon. This picture is of my great uncle. I have been searching for my family members for a very long time. My grandfather (Joseph Nicholas Catter – Yusef – Arabic name) and M.G. (also Monsoure and referred to sometimes as Malcolm Gabriel) . I just know we must be related to each other. I am dying to know who your parents were. Please email me if you can, and let’s figure this out!!! I am so excited….

2. Molly Catter Bewley says:

Thanks so much Fredda! You’re right, I was able to get a good print of the picture. So neat for me to see him as a younger man – the pictures I have of him are from the early 1960’s. I do have a bit of oral history from my uncle, his son, who is in his 80’s. He’s just about the only one left that I have contact with, with any first hand knowledge of him. I’ll write something up and send it your way. Another funny coincidence – my grandmother’s name (his daughter-in-law) was FREDDA! Cool stuff!

Well, how odd! There are not many names Fredda. We would love anything you have on that family! If you have him on something digital, we also have an oral history section in the museum so just do what is easiest. Thanks!

3. Pamela Catter Taylor Campbell says:

Fredda, wow! This picture is of my great uncle, M.G. Catter. His wives were Mary J. Catter (Mamie) and then Ethel. My grandfather was Joseph N. Catter (Yusef), and the brother of Monsieur Catter. -(M.G.) Both brothers were from Beirut, Lebanon and M.G. sent for my grandaddy when he was a boy. They both received their citizenship and then worked their way from New York, down through the South of Missouri and Mississippi while driving cattle. They ended up in Comanche, Texas and then Wichita Falls, Texas. My granddaddy owned a series of Mobil gas stations.

Molly, if your are the great granddaughter of M.G. Catter, that would make us second cousins. I would love to get in touch with you!

4. Cara Catter Campell Smith says:

Molly & Fredda, my name is Cara Smith, and Monseur Catter was my great, great uncle and the brother of my great grandfather Joseph N. Catter. The Catters were from Beirut, Lebanon. M.G. Migrated first, and then sent for my great granddaddy a little while later. They entered New York, upon which my grandfather was quarantined for a while because he was sick. Upon recovering, he and Malcolm, as we called M.G., drove cattle down from New York to Missouri, Mississippi, then into Texas. They finally settled into Wichita Falls, Texas where my grandmother was born and raised. Rosemary was a daughter of M.G. I am interested in getting to know more about our family. Id love to know anything regarding our history. Thank you, and Molly, you are my third cousin! -Cara Smith

5. David W. Catter., Sr. says:

Here’s some more fat for the fire; Monsoure Gabriel Catter was my dad! And that spelling (just preceding this sentence) is from his naturalization certificate, so it has some credibility although we suspect his given name was probably Mansur or Mansour – Gabriel is probably OK as far as spelling is concerned.

Malcolm is my older brother and that might be a source of confusion (see posts above) because I never heard anyone refer to Dad as Malcolm in the 33 years I had with Dad before he died.

This post will not be extensive as I am at my desk at work in Plano, Texas and I try to keep business somewhat separated from my real life, but rest assured that once we get home (Woodland Park, CO) I will do some serious nosing around to see what additional stuff I can add to this conversation.

LaVerne, my wife, found this site last night while the three of us (LaVerne, Malcolm, and I) were unwinding for the day’s activities here at work. We were discussing how to find Mary Jo Catter (Joe and Mildred’s daughter), not remembering her married name; I called my nephew Pete Catter in Fort Worth and he suggested we contact Molly; LaVerne Googled Molly and this site appeared.

So the reunion continues and will get even more frantic once I can make the time to be more chatty. I’d assumed that we’d never be able to re-assemble any of the fragmented Catter clan, but I want to be wrong on that.

More later!

6. Molly Catter Bewley says:

Well, three years later, I am revisiting this site and finally seeing the comments from you all, my family! David, if you see this, we need to get together! We see Pete pretty frequently. Would love to see you and Laverne again. Cara and Pamela, it is so wonderful to learn about you, what a wonderful connection! My father, Sam Catter, and his brother Pete are David’s nephews. However… my father, (who died in 1995) and Pete were actually older than David and his brother Malcolm who were born to MG and his second wife, Louise.

I came back to this site today because my family and I are driving through Comanche this Sunday on a road trip. We’d like to find the site of the Catter Dry Goods Store. Fredda, do you know where on the square it was located? Would be wonderful just to be in the same space.

Cara and Pamela, we need to talk! Cousins!!