Museum Looking For Memories of Weaver Drug In De Leon

WEAVER DRUGI told you last week that the Comanche County Historical Museum is creating a Sign Alley, and the board members need your help. This week, we invite you to comment in the comment boxes below any memories you have of Weaver Drug in De Leon.

It is hard to imagine now, but the day will come in the not too far distant future that no one will remember that once there was a Weaver Drug, and your memories will help make the sign relevant. Where was Weaver Drug located? Who do you remember owning Weaver Drug? Who do you remember working there? What was important about Weaver Drug? Did Weaver Drug allow people to “run a tab”?

And the list goes on and on and on. Please share with us!

This is paid advertising. Contact ronnie@texansunited.com to feature your business, event, or project on Texans United, the site that DOES get you noticed!

This entry was posted in Central Texas Finds and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Museum Looking For Memories of Weaver Drug In De Leon

1. Debbie Loudermilk Olson says:

My grandmother, Neva Loudermilk, had a standing hair appt every Friday at 2:00. When we were visiting, we got to walk to Weaver’s and get a cherry limeade and even when we grew up we still stopped every time we went through town. The limeades were delicious and I’ve never had another one as good. They were yummy!

2. Nancy Weaver Brown says:

Comic book stand, cigar counter with sponge in a jar for moisture, penny peanut machine, simple sugar cooking in a 30 gallon wash tub over an open flame grate, hand pumped soft drinks, 400s, thin milkshakes, hand squeezed cherry limes, bus station, two Weaver men out of the four who owned the store for 112 years that I love with all my heart, and being lucky enough to be part of it all.

3. Janis Helm Cartwright says:

I lived in DeLeon from 1949-1954 from when I was 3 years old thru the 2nd grade. The things that come to mind when I think of Weaver Drug are the comic book rack with Nancy & Sluggo, cherry cokes & cherry dr. peppers from the fountain & most vivid of all – Sam Weaver. There may have been several Sam Weavers in the family but this one was Nancy & Bodie’s dad.
    Fredda – A 400 was like chocolate milk
    My family loved DeLeon!

4. Sara Gonzales says:

My childhood best friend and I used to walk to Weaver Drug almost everyday during summer. Bodie would poor us a couple of root beers…can’t remember what they cost $.35 I think. We would talk about the most “intelligent things” as we sipped on our root beers. We felt so grown up. When I came home from college after about 2 yrs that bright orange sign looked so faded. My heart was saddened.

5. Edwina Davis Carpenter says:

As a child Weaver Drug was one of my favorite places to get a treat! My grandma lived in Deleon and would take us there for a chocolate soda “a real soda” from the soda fountain!! My all time favorite!! I in turn always took my kids there when we came for a visit or to the Peach and Melon Festival. They now have kids and always tell them about the soda fountain when we are in Deleon! I’ve had chocolate sodas from many places but never had one as good as Weaver Drug!!

6. Cathy Stone Spurgeon says:

I spent every summer growing up in Deleon visiting my Granny
    Leona Stone. She would take us to town almost every day and one of the
    Highlights was going to Weavers and having a cherry limeade!!! They
    Were the best ever.. As a matter of fact when I became pregnant with my first
    Child I craved them and so no matter where I went in Fort Worth I could not
    Find one that would even come close to the ones they made. I got so desperate
    For one that I gave them a call and the lady was kind enough to
    Share the recipe with me!! Those we’re definitely the Good Old Days!!!
    Thank you for letting me share a memory.
    Cathy Stone

7. Carrie says:

I went there all the time. Myrtie would make me a cherry lime and I would check out all the shampoos and different products along the walls. Bodie was always so happy and would give a big yell from the back when you came in. I remember one day coming in and Glenda was in the back wrapping Christmas presents. She was the one that taught me to put peanuts in my glass bottle of Dr. Pepper. At one point Jonathan had a baseball card collection there where you could buy and trade cards. Later it was Bodie that would make me that cherry lime and he probably made me someone near two hundred of those over time.

8. Jimmie Dee Sturdivant Jones says:

My Grand Parents W. D. Walker’s lived about three miles West of De Leon. My cousins Mary Frances Hazzard and Bill Hazzard would visit them almost every weekend. My Grand Father was retired, but had kept his mules and wagon handy when we were there. He would hitch the mules to the wagon and the three of us would sit on the very back of the wagon(swinging our feet off.) We would be off to De Leon to Weavers Drug store for ice cream. As you entered the door of Weavers Drug the over head fan was always on to keep the flies outside. We would go to the counter and sit on the stools that would turn around and around and order our favorite flavor of ice cream. Back to the wagon for home where our parents cars were waiting. This started in 1937 until they moved.

Jimmie Dee, this is a fabulous memory. Thank you so much for sharing. I think of you so often and wish that I could sit down and visit with you for just a bit. I owe you so very much from those very hard years long ago. Hugs!

9. Patrice McCullough Thomas says:

My grandpa, Frank McCullough, from Comanche married widow Eula Gillock from DeLeon in the mid-60’s when they were both in their 70’s. They lived in Eula’s house in DeLeon out off the highway just across from the fairgrounds. Eula was the only grandmother we ever really knew and she was a sweetheart to all of her newly acquired grandchildren, even if we did tease her about her “blue” hair. Eula would drive us into town on occasion to Weaver Drug and we always ordered the cherry-lime drinks. We didn’t know any of the folks running the store, but they always greeted Eula with a big “Hello” and made a big “to do” over her visiting grandkids from the big city (Fort Worth). Good memories!

10. Bruce Sanders says:

Bodie and me were school mates and we still play golf together after some 60 yrs. My brother Wayne Sanders was 11 years older than me and left home when i was in the first grade…….so i needed a brother and so did Bodie. We have been like brothers ever since. I spent a lot of time in Weaver Drug with Sam, Alzera, Nancy, Bodie, Mertie, and others i don’t remember. I remember Elza Perry’s jewelry and watch repair located inside Weaver Drug. I remember the milk shakes, limeades, and ice cream…. they were the best. I remember there was a chair at the front of the store near the funny books and us kids would sit there and look at the funny books. In recent years before Bodie retired us guys would gather at Weaver Drug for drinks where we would try to solve the worlds problems and talk about everything especially the De Leon Bearcats. Weaver Drug has definitely been a part of my life.