The following history was given to me by Gary Kent Boyd, using Mabel (Vernon) Boyd’s history.
Elizabeth Frances “Fannie” Nabers, born December 17, 1846, in Reynolds County, Missouri and came with her parents to Texas as an infant. The Thomas Jefferson and Lucy Jane Nabers family first settled in Milam County, then moved to Bell County. They later made the trek to Comanche County in August of 1857.
First they lived at Cora, south of what would become Gustine. Frances, at age fourteen, united with the Methodist Church and remained a Methodist for the rest of her life.
On November 26, 1871, Elizabeth Frances Nabers and George Vernon married. To this union were born six children:
Eliza Jane Vernon b. 3-9-1873, d. 7-7-1876
Richard “Dick” Franklin b. 9-26-1874, d. 6-28-1948 (at home in Gustine)
Josephine (Vernon) Sherrill b. 12-23-1876, d. 193_? (Los Angeles, California)
Margaret “Maggie” Vernon b. 1-9-1879, d. 7-25-1958
Lula (Vernon) Cunningham b. 2-15-1881, d. ?
Fleete Vernon b. 8-15-1883, d. ? (Ontario, California)
Mabel (Vernon) Boyd remembered her grandmother Elizabeth Frances as a “gentle quiet spoken person who used to ride the Cotton Belt train route (now highway 36) to Gustine to visit with the family.”
Elizabeth Frances remembered the spinnings they used to have during the Civil War years. After they carded batts and had the cotton ready to spin into thread, they got the men and boys to move the spinning wheels to the old church that stood just east of the Comanche square. Ladies would invite their friends. Often they would have eleven wheels so they could spin enough for a dress in a day! Understandably, these were meaningful social occasions as well as practical events.
Following her husband’s death, Elizabeth Frances continued to live in the old home. Her spinster daughter, Margaret, “Maggie,” lived with her following George’s death. Elizabeth died on January 19, 1925, and was buried by husband in the Oakwood Cemetery.
More on these families may be found in the Comanche County books, edited by Fredda Davis Jones. Copies are in the Comanche County Historical Museum, the Comanche Public Library, as well as in various other Texas libraries.