• Religious Freedom For All…Except Tim Tebow?

I haven’t said anything about Tim Tebow because I wanted to spend some time thinking about him and the stir he has created before I did, but I’ve decided that the bottom line is that I just simply do not understand what all the fuss is about and I’m hoping that if you understand it, you will enlighten me.

The guy claims to be a Christian, and it seems to me that he has that right. Okay, so he takes a knee after a touchdown. How can that possibly be enough to have caused the wave of criticism the poor guy has had to endure?

It seems to me that Tim takes a knee while someone else does a belly bump and another waves a fist in the air, each letting a piece of his personality and who he is show to millions of fans…and the world accepts all but the knee. Why is that?

In a day where we forgive athletes for basically anything (gambling, drugs, rape, and assault and battery come to mind), I’m just lost as to why we care that Tebow gives God the credit for basically everything in his life, including his success. Since he is the son of missionary parents, I don’t find this strange at all.

In fact, what I find strange is that in this country that professes tolerance and religious freedom (or freedom from religion) there is the lack of even a speck of tolerance for Tim Tebow and his personal beliefs. I also have the feeling that if TT were a Buddhist and if he ran to the sidelines after every touchdown to rub the head of a statue of Buddha, no one would dare make a peep.

If he were a Muslim and if during the game it was time for him to kneel and pray, would we object? I suppose many individuals might, but members of the national media? I really don’t believe that they would.

Now, don’t get me wrong. This article is not meant to promote or condemn any “religion.” I’ve just wondered for some years now why it is that we are so quick to criticize some and equally quick to defend others.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. And to Tim I would say, “Be who you are. This country was built by people who dared to be themselves and chase their individual dreams. I see no reason why you cannot do the same whether anyone agrees with you or not!”

This entry was posted in Just Texas! Presenting Bloggers From Texansunited.com and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Religious Freedom For All…Except Tim Tebow?

1. Dennis Marken says:

This is KISS simple. Our President is Muslim and the people who support him want us all converted or other religions forbidden. Wonder if those stupid dances player do after a touchdown can be seen as some type of religion so we can stop that?

You’re being a little more anti than I want to be here, Dennis! However, this is a very, very serious issue, and it should be to Christians and non-Christians alike because today we are discussing TT and his right to take a knee, etc. at a ballgame. Tomorrow we could be discussing whether we have the right to criticize the government, and the day after tomorrow, we could not be discussing. It sounds over the top, but I assure you it has happened around the world, and we are no better than those people who lost all rights were.

• Ronnie Clifton Ronnie Clifton says:

I blogged about Tim Tebow last week in my Sports of All Sorts column on this site. And now I love what Fredda has written. Isn’t freedom of speech great? And while I disagree with some of what my good friend Dennis Marken wrote, I will go to my grave in deep appreciation of Dennis for serving this country and helping to preserve that freedom in that awful war known as Viet Nam. I just want to leave a quote from JFK who continuously had to defend his Catholic faith to the Protestants during campaign for president and also during his presidency:

“The family of man is not limited to a single race or religion, to a single city or country…….the family of man is nearly three billion strong. Most of its members are not white and most of them are not Christian. I believe that the members of this family should be at peace with one another. That ideal shines across all the generations of our history…………as the Apostle Paul wrote long ago in Romans, ‘If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.’ I believe it is possible. As fellow citizens, let us live peaceably with each other; as fellow human beings, let us strive to live peaceably with men and women everywhere. Let that be our purpose and our prayer, yours and mine—–for ourselves, for our country and for all the world.”

John F. Kennedy: Spoken to the Protestant Council of New York City, 1963

2. Juanita Bain says:

I read your recent thoughts about Tim Tebow and I agree. I recently

read a very interesting e-mail about him and I am sending you the

article. think you will really enjoy reading it.

*Who among us is Selfless?**

*This article is written by Rick Reilly of ESPN and Sports Illustrated

fame. *

*Rick Reilly is the 11-time National Sportswriter of the Year. He

contributes essays and commentary to “Monday Night Countdown,”

“SportsCenter,” and ESPN/ABC golf and tennis coverage.

*I’ve come to believe in Tim Tebow, but not for what he does on a

football field, which is still three parts Dr. Jekyll and two parts Mr.

Hyde.

No, I’ve come to believe in Tim Tebow for what he does off a football

field, which is represent the best parts of us, the parts I want to be

and so rarely am.

Who among us is this selfless?

Every week, Tebow picks out someone who is suffering, or who is dying,

or who is injured. He flies these people and their families to the

Broncos game, rents them a car, puts them up in a nice hotel, buys them

dinner (usually at a Dave & Buster’s), gets them and their families

pregame passes, visits with them just before kickoff (!), gets them

30-yard-line tickets down low, visits with them after the game

(sometimes for an hour), has them walk him to his car, and sends them

off with a basket of gifts.

Home or road, win or lose, hero or goat.

Remember last week, when the world was pulling its hair out in the hour

after Tebow had stunned the Pittsburgh Steelers with an 80-yard OT

touchdown pass to Demaryius Thomas in the playoffs? And Twitter was

exploding with 9,420 tweets about Tebow per second? When an ESPN poll

was naming him the most popular athlete in America?

Tebow was spending that hour talking to 16-year-old Bailey Knaub about

her 73 surgeries so far and what TV shows she likes.

“Here he’d just played the game of his life,” recalls Bailey’s mother,

Kathy, of Loveland, Colo., “and the first thing he does after his

press conference is come find Bailey and ask, ‘Did you get anything to

eat?’ He acted like what he’d just done wasn’t anything, like it was

all about Bailey.”

More than that, Tebow kept corralling people into the room for Bailey

to meet. Hey, Demaryius, come in here a minute. Hey, Mr. Elway. Hey,

Coach Fox.

Even though sometimes-fatal Wegener’s granulomatosis has left Bailey

with only one lung, the attention took her breath away.

“It was the best day of my life,” she emailed. “It was a bright star

among very gloomy and difficult days. Tim Tebow gave me the greatest

gift I could ever imagine. He gave me the strength for the future. I

know now that I can face any obstacle placed in front of me. Tim taught

me to never give up because at the end of the day, today might seem

bleak but it can’t rain forever and tomorrow is a new day, with new

promises.”

I read that email to Tebow, and he was honestly floored.

“Why me? Why should I inspire her?” he said. “I just don’t feel, I

don’t know, adequate. Really, hearing her story inspires me.”

It’s not just NFL defenses that get Tebowed. It’s high school girls

who don’t know whether they’ll ever go to a prom. It’s adults who can

hardly stand. It’s kids who will die soon.

For the game at Buffalo, it was Charlottesville, Va., blue-chip high

school QB Jacob Rainey, who lost his leg after a freak tackle in a

scrimmage. Tebow threw three interceptions in that Buffalo game and the

Broncos were crushed 40-14.

“He walked in and took a big sigh and said, ‘Well, that didn’t go as

planned,'” Rainey remembers. “Where I’m from, people wonder how sincere

and genuine he is. But I think he’s the most genuine person I’ve ever

met.”

There’s not an ounce of artifice or phoniness or Hollywood in this kid

Tebow, and I’ve looked everywhere for it.

Take 9-year-old Zac Taylor, a child who lives in constant pain.

Immediately after Tebow shocked the Chicago Bears with a 13-10 comeback

win, Tebow spent an hour with Zac and his family. At one point, Zac,

who has 10 doctors, asked Tebow whether he has a secret prayer for

hospital visits. Tebow whispered it in his ear. And because Tebow still

needed to be checked out by the Broncos’ team doctor, he took Zac in

with him, but only after they had whispered it together.

And it’s not always kids. Tom Driscoll, a 55-year-old who is dying of

brain cancer at a hospice in Denver, was Tebow’s guest for the

Cincinnati game. “The doctors took some of my brain,” Driscoll says,

“so my short-term memory is kind of shot. But that day I’ll never

forget. Tim is such a good man.”

This whole thing makes no football sense, of course. Most NFL players

hardly talk to teammates before a game, much less visit with the sick

and dying.

Isn’t that a huge distraction?

“Just the opposite,” Tebow says. “It’s by far the best thing I do to

get myself ready. Here you are, about to play a game that the world

says is the most important thing in the world. Win and they praise you.

Lose and they crush you. And here I have a chance to talk to the

coolest, most courageous people. It puts it all into perspective. The

game doesn’t really matter. I mean, I’ll give 100 percent of my heart

to win it, but in the end, the thing I most want to do is not win

championships or make a lot of money, it’s to invest in people’s lives,

to make a difference.”

So that’s it. I’ve given up giving up on him. I’m a 100 percent

believer. Not in his arm. Not in his skills. I believe in his heart,

his there-will-definitely-be-a-pony-under-the-tree optimism, the way

his love pours into people, right up to their eyeballs, until they

believe they can master the hopeless comeback, too.

Remember the QB who lost his leg, Jacob Rainey? He got his prosthetic

leg a few weeks ago, and he wants to play high school football next

season. Yes, tackle football. He’d be the first to do that on an

above-the-knee amputation.

Hmmm. Wonder where he got that crazy idea?*

*”Tim told me to keep fighting, no matter what,” Rainey says. “I am.” *

Juanita, it took a lot of time for you to send this ariticle, and I appreciate it. I know others will enjoy reading it. This country was built by people who dared to stand up and be themselves. I see no reason why TT should not be given that right as well.

3. Dennis Marken says:

Juanita the article is ever so right. It is not what one does in sports, it is what they do with there life outside of the sport. My hard line was for shock. But, as Fredda states, what has happened in other countries could happen here tomorrow. If one stands and screams he/she is an atheist they are brave for standing-up for what they believe. Yet if a TT kneels he is seen as less than human. Come on folks, this is a sporting event. NOT a school. So in closing, think Russia 1930s, Germany 1940s, America 2000s. Doubt me. Wait and see, if we don’t stand up today there will be no tomorrow. Yes it is hardline, but fight now or drop over and die Americans. We are seeing change and history will back me when you see what changes (same as we are seeing in America today) brought about the horrors in the two countries I noted above. Let us pray we don’t follow in their footsteps. Vote them out in 2012.

4. Gary Elliott says:

The “Reilly: I believe in Tim Tebow” story is located at http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7455943/believing-tim-tebow

I thought you might enjoy this story from ESPN.com.

5. Marvin McKinnon says:

Fredda, I really appreciate your remarks. You said it very well.

Thank you, Marvin. Understand that I am not writing this from the standpoint of my own Christian beliefs but rather to point out a very hypocritical system that we have all allowed in this country. We either have religious freedom or we do not. It is very simple, isn’t it?

6. Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I hope you write once more soon!

7. Antonio says:

Hi, after reading this remarkable article i am also happy to share my experience here with friends.