• Sheran’s Coveted German Chocolate Pie Recipe!

If it weren’t for my friends bailing me out at times, I’d never be able to keep the recipes flowing here on texansunited.com! Thank goodness Dublin’s Sheran Weible had a dinner party this week, and thank goodness I caught her in a weak moment because she has NEVER been willing to share her German Chocolate Pie recipe…until today!!

GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIEPie Ingredients

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 pkg (4 oz.) Bakers German Chocolate
    1/4 cup butter (not margarine)
    1 2/3 cup evaporated milk (Pet 13 oz.)
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    3 TBS cornstarch
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla

Melt chocolate with butter in microwave. Gradually add milk and set aside.  Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt together. Add chocolate mixture and mix. Add eggs and mix. Add vanilla. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake until puffed and brown, appx 45 min ( make sure pie is set).

Topping Ingredients

1 stick butter (not margarine)
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup evaporated milk (Pet)
    3 egg yolks
    1 cup pecans
    1/4 cup coconut

Melt butter in microwave and pour into a heavy pan. Mix sugar milk egg yolks together and add to butter. Cook over med. heat until bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup of pecans and 1/4 cup of coconut and spread over pie.

This is a very rich pie and sooo delicious be sure and cut small slices.

This entry was posted in Desserts, Our Texas Recipes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Sheran’s Coveted German Chocolate Pie Recipe!

1. denise griffin says:

You forgot to tell when to add the vanilla extract, which should be right after you add the eggs to the sugar/cornstarch mix.

• Sheran Weible says:

I am so sorry Denise I forgot to mention when to put in vanilla, you are absolutely right. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

2. Leah says:

YUMMM!!! can’t wait to try this!

3. Ruth says:

It looks like there are pecans in the pie, but I don’t see them in the recipe.

4. Marilyn Stewart says:

Love German Chocolate, anything. Can not wait to try

5. Bruce Nieman-Runner says:

I have been looking for this recipe for years! My husbands mother used to make it, but then she died unexpectedly — she “fell asleep” at a Dolly Partin concert in Alpharetta in 2011 and didn’t wake up. Nice way to go, isn’t it? Anyway, It was just 3 months after she threw a beautiful wedding for us, so, though I’d eaten this pie dozens of times, she hadn’t yet shared the recipe with me. My Billy really misses this pie. I think I’ll surprise him on our anniversary next month. I can’t thank you enough.

• Sheran Weible says:

The top should be puffed and crusty, I always shake it a little and see if it jiggles, if the middle of the pie about the size of a quarter is not set when you take it out it will go ahead and set while it is cooling , I usually wait till the pie has cooled a little before I add the topping. I hope it turns out good for you. Thank you for your questions I hope I help you a little, Sheran.

• Bruce Nieman-Runner says:

I couldn’t wait to make the pie — I thought I should make a test run befor our anniversary, in case I did something wrong. So while my husband is up North for meetings and an oncology conference, I decided to make one and take it to my office. I told my secretary about it, and she ooh’ed and aah’ed, but she’s from New Jersey and wouldn’t be able to make a pie crust if you put a gun to her head. I left it on my desk when I went to a meeting at 9:30, and when I came back 90 minutes later, there was one piece left! My secretary couldn’t wait, and once she tried it, she couldn’t stop herself from sharing. (It’s good to see her time in the South is having some affect on her.). She’s lucky she saved me a piece! It was every bit as good as Mama Tunner’s! I swear, if you marketed this pie, you’d be s@&$$ing in high cotton! Mama Runner would serve this after Sunday dinner, and if it was a special occasion, or a particularly lovely day, she’d serve it with milk punch — equal parts bourbon, simple syrup, and cream over shaved ice — in julep cups. My sister-in-law, a selfish hag who wouldn’t share a recipe any more than she would share her liver, took the julep cups, even though the silver had been left to my husband. I guess I should try to let go of that, though. I don’t have as much use for them as she does…my husband isn’t an unemployed alcoholic living off my family money. Anyway, the pie is just about the best ever made. Love from the Heart of Georgia!

This is the funniest thing I have ever read, and if you ever decide to become a writer, we need to talk!!! I’m so glad you liked the pie and…well…just Bless Your Heart!!!

• Maxine Burns says:

Fredda! Your response…”well, bless your heart” was priceless!
              My thoughts exactly! Missy brought this to my attention and I had to check it out for myself! What a talented writer…..loved reading every word of that. It was hilarious…and so unexpected. I think that it was triggered my fits of laughter as much as anything! I’m letting about half the people in North America know about this….too good to keep to myself. Oh, and the pie sounds delicious and I do want to try it soon!!!!

Funniest thing I’ve read in years, Maxine!

• Sheran Weible says:

That is so funny, I agree with Fredda ,we need you as a story teller on Texans United. I’m so glad the pie was a hit. You are a treasure. Sheran

• Becky Bussey says:

You Georgia girls will fit right in at a Texas BBQ, ya’ ll just be sure to bring some of that milk punch with the pie!

• Ellie says:

I love your ‘story’ and I hope it is a ‘story’ and bless your heart if it isn’t . I agree that if you are ever in Texas, give us a shout, come on by and we’ll drink milk punch from mason jars!

• Sheran Weible says:

That is great I hope you husband enjoys. Happy Anniversary, Sheran

6. Stefanie says:

Made this pie today, but as a novice was sure when it was set. Also do you allow the pie to cool prior to adding the topping or does it matter that it’s hot?

• Stefanie says:

Okay another thing… How do you know it’s set up? I just made it and the middle is gooey (not runny) and the outside is like custard. I’m in love with the topping but the inside is questionable!!!

7. Sheila Pool says:

I will have to try this. It is a little different from the German Chocolate Pie I have made in the past, mainly the topping part.

I copied recipe & picture to keep; however, I will have to re-type recipe as the font is too light to read and especially on that brown background that I cannot erase.

Thanks for posting some really good recipes.

8. Grace Guidry says:

Thanks you for the GermanChoclate Pie recipes .

9. Missy Jones says:

Fredda and Sheran: Best recipe I have seen in a long time. I think I may make this for the Jones Family reunion. Also, this should rank right up there with Rick Bragg, Pulitizer Prize winning author, who does the last page in the Southern Living magazine. I laughed until I cried. And, in this world we live in, we need every laugh we can find. Thanks, Girls. Missy Jones

10. Margaret Mc Culloch says:

I’m a novice @ the computer & my printer is not working, So I hope I can find this again. It sounds heavenly! Will definitely want to try this pie. Also enjoyed the ladies story about her sister in – law. It is probably true, I have one just like her. She wouldn’t ask me for a recipe if her life depended on it. In forty yr.s married to my only brother, she’s ask me for two, at different times. I brought both to family gatherings, & my brother & everyone loved them. So she um-hawed around, (Tx sayin’) & ask for the recipe. Next, she started bringing one of them to all of our family gatherings, just like it was hers, she could have at least had the wherefore to take them to her side of the family. The other recipe she made for her son’s wedding, & took credit for it when everyone was raving about how good it was, never once sayin, “well, that’s so- in soes recipe, she was sweet enough to share it with me!” Bet there there a lot of stories like that out there!

• Sheran Weible says:

Margaret I hope you get your printer working, Good Luck with your sister-in-law. Let us know how everything turns out. Maybe you can take the pie to your next family gathering:) Have a great day, Sheran

11. lorilynn10 says:

Dang! The pie crust wasn’t on the ingredient list :( I know it’s a given since I am baking a pie…but, well, dang!

12. becky says:

HMMMM, how do you make the pie crust, I have never made one and would love to try this recipe. It sounds delicious.

13. becky says:

I have never made a pie crust would you mind sharing how you make your.

14. Wanda Weible says:

I am Sheran’s mother-in-law and was at her dinner party & got to eat some of that pie. Best pie ever ! My husband claimes to be an expert pie judge & is still raving about it. Thanks again Sheran.

• Sheran Weible says:

Thank you , my sweet mother-in-law who is a better cook than I ‘ll ever be! Your the bestest.

15. Lynn Miller says:

I did not see any size for pie shell. I used a pre-made Pillsbury frozen shell and had about one cup of the filling leftover. Maybe a note indicating at least a nine inch or larger pie shell is required.

• Sheran Weible says:

I usually use a 10 inch deep dish. Didn’t think about specifying what size. Sorry about that. Hope it turned out good for you :)

16. Susi Matthews says:

Oh MYYY! I’m going to have to try this. I’m a d*mned Yankee (and proud of it) but I cook like a Southerner (and proud of that, too!) I ‘start with a roux’ and make my own gravy and can my own jams and all.

Regarding pie crust, I finally made a successful one after 25 years of trying. Even my granmother’s recipe didn’t work for me. This one worked:

Pie Pastry

Makes: 3 portions
      Prep: 20 minutes
      Chill: 2 hours

Ingredients
      3 3/4  cups  all-purpose flour
      1  Tbsp.  sugar
      1/2  to 1 Tbsp.  kosher salt (such as Diamond® crystal)
      1/2  tsp.  baking powder
      1 3/4  cups  cold unsalted butter, cut up
      2/3  cup  ice cold water
      2  Tbsp.  sour cream
      1  tsp.  vinegar

Directions
      In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter leaving pea sized chunks.
      In a 2 cup glass measure whisk water, sour cream, and vinegar; pour, all at once into flour mixture, and quickly distribute. Stop!
      Make sure dough is slightly crumbly. Divide dough mixture into 3 equal portions (about 12 to 13 ounces each) Refrigerate for 2 hours and best overnight (finish by hand). DO NOT OVERMIX- the finished dough should break, not stretch.
      Gently knead in bag to bring dough together. Form into discs.
      Use at once or wrap and store in refrigerator for several days or in freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator if frozen.

Susie, you are a woman after my own heart, and I’m working on my d^*$d Yankee bias!! LOL

This is very similar to my own pie crust recipe that my Aunt Vesta used except for the kosher salt. Is there an important purpose for that? Thanks so much for sending!!!

• sheran Weible says:

Thank you Susie, I’ll sure give it a try

• Susi Matthews says:

You’re most welcome! Good luck. It’s the hardest thing of all to make, in my opinion. Outcome depends largely on my mood, the weather, the stock exchange rate and if the salmon are running.

• becky says:

Thank you so much for the pie curst recipe Susi .

17. Bruce Nieman-Runner says:

OK. So I had the best anniversary anyone could hope for, and I feel sorry for y’all, cuz I really do mean it. Mine was better than any of yours. Ever. Again, sorry.

I will admit that sometimes, when my husband is away for work, I spend an evening or three on the sofa in the family room watching Ellen on Tivo and eating Moon Pies out of the box, chasing them down with chocolate milk. The full-fat, good stuff. Or maybe I will order a small double-cheese pizza and just eat the cheese off the top while I watch a funny movies.

This was NOT one of those times.

My husband came home last night from the oncology convention in Chicago at about 6:30 p.m. A car service was picking him up, and I’d had them call me when they left Hartsfield so I could have everything timed to perfection. Really, all it takes to make an occasion special is a little planning — am I right, girls? Anyway, I was waiting when he walked in the door with a double-shot of Michter’s bourbon with just one cube of ice — enough to cool it down, but not enough to water it down. The house was spotless. Dinner was served by the pool — his favorite — shrimp and grits, stewed tomatoes (that I put up last August — and that WAS his Mama’s recipe…she had that one written down, bless her), and a side of greens. (I am so lucky to have a husband whose favorite meal is so easy!) We had tea with dinner, ‘cuz I told him he had a surprise later on. (He told me I had a surprise coming, too. I told him I was counting on it! ;-) Little did I know…)

Anyway, I brought out the pie and two rocks glasses of milk punch, and you could have knocked him over with a feather. Ladies, he is 6’2″, 190 pounds of man, but I saw a tear roll down his cheek. He said it was every bit as good as his Mama’s! He had a second piece and said he was going to have a third piece for breakfast this morning! I told him he’d have to go for a long run, if he did, ‘cuz nobody with cancer wants a fat doctor reminding them that they are wasting.

We are quite a bit alike, he and I, and it showed in our choice of gifts. We both like sport — hunting, especially, but also fishing and tracking. I bought him a Larquebusier rifle (it even harder to say than to spell) while I was in France for work in the Spring — it’s really a piece of art you can hunt game with — and he had his presents for me delivered at eight thirty last night — two of the most amazing, professionally trained coon hounds you have ever laid eyes on! Belle and Opie. They are not related by blood, but come from the same breeder, and have been raised and trained with one another since my husband picked them out. They are smart as a whip, I’m already over the moon in love with them, and I expect in a year or two to have a half-dozen more running around that I can train myself! As part of the gift I get a bunch of training sessions with them and the trainer — ha, ha — my husband is sending me to a dog trainer…he won’t be telling THAT joke again — so I work with them to their best advantage.

We are heading up for a long weekend to our cabin at Wolf Mountain on Friday to put the dogs through some tracking paces. And you can bet your sweet hiney I’m taking one of those pies with me!

• sheran Weible says:

That is wonderful and thank you so much for sharing with us. Now you keep in contact with us, ya hear. Sheran

18. Dave says:

Do all y’all’s recipes come with such bemusing stories? If so, I must bookmark this here spot so I can come back again and pull up a chair and read some more!

19. Jana says:

I just want to lick my computer screen. That is the best looking pie I’ve ever seen in my life and that covers a lot of ground, if I say so myself. I have no idea how I’m going to sleep tonight and work tomorrow before I can get to the store for these fixins. I’ll have to make at least 3, my boys will eat one the first sitting, my mother is a saint who is probably the only person who really deserves one and that last one will be quietly smuggled to my backyard swing – just me, the pie and a fork. And my stretchy pants. ☺

20. Melissa Dawn Fleetwood says:

My husband baked for 25 years and he has a recipe for this, however, the topping goes in the bottom of the pie crust and then you place the filling on top of that. As this bakes, the topping rises to the top………..I wouldn’t have believed it had I not see it!! I will have to try this recipe as well, after retiring my husband doesn’t bake so I get to learn all the tricks of the trade and try new things. Thanks for sharing this!

21. Linda Vaughn says:

Made this pie yesterday. It was awesome! This is a keeper.

22. Denise says:

Cannot wait to try this pie. Love all the stories and comments about it. My Mom always made German chocolate cake with a very similar icing. I am blessed to have that icing recipe and it is ALWAYS raved about when I take it to outings. Can’t wait to make this as a part of our pies for some of the special men we recognize in our church for Father’s Day this weekend. Thank you for sharing. Great to have another pie to me recipes.

23. Kathie O'Neal says:

I was just fixin to whip this up, but all I have is Baker’s unsweetened bars. Will this work or do I really need the German chocolate? Oh Lawd I really have my mouth watering for this and I hate the thought of going to store. Wonder what a difference it would make. Anything with chocolate, BUTTA and sugar, honey child you can’t go wrong….nope not goin to the store, bottom just fell out the sky. I will report back if it’s a overload on the cacao. Have a Blessed Day ★

24. Deb says:

Has a baking temp but no baking time listed ?? How Long ??

• Sheran Weible says:

It is usually between 30 and 45 minutes, kinda depends on different ovens, just check it after 30 minutes the top should be puffed and kinda crusty,if in the middle (uncooked)is no bigger than a quarter it will finish setting when it cools, Hopefully that makes sense.

25. Gail Foltz says:

OMGoodness,I have read through everyone’s comments and I Have to try this recipe! Never have made a decent pie crust but gonna try the one Susi Matthews posted ( thank you for that Susi) and I ask you all to keep me in your thoughts cause I’m diabetic an I just know this will send me over the top ( cause there is No Way I will be able to just eat one piece… ) I have a kitchen that beacons to me when I walk by and something yummy is in there…. It says ‘eat me…’ And my arms go up and out and I say ‘ I must obey master….’ Lol Anyways, can’t wait to try this !!!! Hope you all who make this pie enjoy … German chocolate is like my favorite so I KNOW I will…..