William Pendergrass (1818-1898) and his wife, Emaline (1819-1907), moved from Tennessee to Smith County, Texas in 1849. They first came to Comanche County in 1859, then settled here permanently after a brief return to Smith County from 1866 to 1873.
Mr. and Mr. Pendergrass had nine children, some of whom also settled in this area. Pendergrass himself helped to establish several churches and a school as well as the Pendergrass Cemetery, which is located about two miles east of Sidney.
The first burial in what has become known as the Pendergrass Cemetery was in 1883, when Mr. Pendergrass gave a plot of his land to bury a stranger whose body was found nearby. He then moved (from a tract of land that he had sold) the graves of two grandchildren to the new cemetery: Hilliard Pendergrass and Pearly Cook. In 1888 he deeded the one-acre cemetery to the Sidney community.
Emaline Pendergrass donated another acre shortly after her husband’s death in 1898. Today the bodies of William, Emaline, and many of their descendants are among the several hundred other graves in the Pendergrass Cemetery.
At the time of this writing, the cemetery is still well maintained.